Back once AGAIN. I’m being really inconsistent with my blog but this is how life is and I’m just trying to figure things out for myself at the moment. Currently I’m again not working so I’m at least trying to keep things more regular here. First – continuing the alphabet project.
Narwhals are like real-life unicorns of the sea, aren’t they! This makes it a fairly obvious reason of making one for my alphabet. I actually made it before the break in blogging but I think I remember most of the details in the making.
I used cotton yarn and 1.5 mm hook for making it. It’s really tiny and tight so I couldn’t even use safety eyes so I embroidered a couple of seed beads instead. (Does anyone know if there is an alternative for tinier amigurumi?) I think he looks adorable. I took the picture today so it looks a bit sad and gloomy as is the weather here, wanted to leave it as is, sorry about that.
Pattern I made up as I went on. It begins as my basic amigurumi head-body but then I cut it off and crocheted another circle of white in the same circumference and sewed it to the bottom. Fins and tail are sewn on the same round. Stuffed it with wool.
Having gotten this far with the alphabet I’m thinking it would be a cool picture including all of the characters and things I have crocheted for it. I hope I still have them all as I tend to give my amigurumis away every once in a while. (:
This time I have again decided to put couple of items in one post. These are again one (or two) of my schoolworks. The first one is a rather simple fabric doll. It’s sewn made of a cotton/linen blend fabric and by using a sewing machine. This one I made in first year of school.
The toughest parts were stuffing and stitching the hair as it needed to be done strand by strand and I opted for this chunky yarn for a dreadlocks look. I had to pull the yarn gently so it wouldn’t break but tight enough to make it stay in place. The face is hand stitched on and this time I went for an anime kind of a look.
The sweater is hand-sewn of an old woolen cardigan that shrunk in the wash. The trousers are from a linen fabric, I made up the pattern and went for a harem-look. The belt is an actual leather belt that I cut shorter. Slippers are crocheted on a felt bottom (thought about making similar ones to myself as well, what do you think?).
The second doll is made in second year of school and I finished it just in time before the end. It’s a proper Waldorf doll made following some very specific instructions. It’s all hand-sewn from a knit cotton that I believe is meant for dollmaking (we got it from our teacher).
I had thought that the first doll was tricky enough but this one took much more time and commitment. It had to be stuffed even tighter (both dolls are stuffed with pure wool) and everything had to be just right. Here are a few pictures to show some steps. In addition to what you see there is, for example a double layer in the head – the first one shapes it and the second one for cover.
It was a long process but I am really happy that I did it. The hair took even longer to stitch as it the yarn was so much finer. The clothes could be made by using a sewing machine again but the tiny details again took their time. I used the same wool for the jacket as for the first doll and hand-sew it. I also made a white cotton undershirt and trousers with suspenders (made of the same leather belt as well). I also made a little waistcoat with buttons (that closes with press buttons to avoid making tiny button holes).
My doll was the only male one in our class and it doesn’t have shoes for a reason. I wanted him to look a little like Bilbo Baggins from The Hobbit. I know the trousers are the wrong colour but I didn’t have a solid mustard/beige/light brown and didn’t feel like going to shop either, perhaps another time. What do you think, does it look a little like him?
So as you can see I didn’t post anything else about my school as I planned earlier. It was much busier and the long days (although flew by) exhausted me quite a bit.
We had a lot of homework which is normal I guess if you only go to school every once in a while (our next session is 6 weeks from the first one).
I’ll now take pictures of some of the homework I have already managed to finish. First some embroidery examples.
Next are sewing samples. These are actually made in school with big and scary industrial sewing machines.
I think my embroideries are quite okay but this sewing thing takes some practice. Also apparently I picked a bit too fine fabric as it made my work even more difficult.
I’ll now try to picture my knitting samples. They are different types of casting on. I’m also mentioning that our maximum size for needles is set for 1.5mm. I have no idea how that would be good for practice. I’m a slow knitter an this size limit is no help!
Anyways, here they are, extremely shy and curling up so you probably can’t even tell what’s going on. They were actually all supposed to be white and red but I ran out of both. We’ll see if I’ll pass with my oh-so-wrong colours.
I have also made drawings and more theoretical stuff but that’s not so nice or interesting to share (not that my sewings or knittings are).
Mõned koolitööd siin. See pole kindlasti kõik, kuna osa veel tegemata ja osa liiga igav, et jagada.
Nagu näha pole õmblemine mu tugevamaid külgi. Väidetavalt oli mu kangas ka natuke liiga õhuke ja õrn sellise katsetöö jaoks.
Kudumid on ka imetillukesed ja rulli keerduvad. Need siis looduste näidised. Vahenditeks 8/2 lõng ja max 1.5 mm vardad. Kõik peaks veel olema ka valge ja punasega, a mul said mõlemad otsa. Eks näis, kas mu totaalselt nii valed värvid läbi ka lähevad.